5.31.2010

Memorial Day…

What is memorial day? According to a website I found it is:

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. There are many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day. There is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War: a hymn published in 1867, "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping" by Nella L. Sweet carried the dedication "To The Ladies of the South who are Decorating the Graves of the Confederate Dead" (Source: Duke University's Historic American Sheet Music, 1850-1920). While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it's difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day. It is more likely that it had many separate beginnings; each of those towns and every planned or spontaneous gathering of people to honor the war dead in the 1860's tapped into the general human need to honor our dead, each contributed honorably to the growing movement that culminated in Gen Logan giving his official proclamation in 1868. It is not important who was the very first, what is important is that Memorial Day was established. Memorial Day is not about division. It is about reconciliation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.

What about you?

What about me?

I am super proud to be an American. I believe strongly in many things in the US. There are things I strongly disagree with in the US. For example, the people that protest at soldiers funerals. I think they should NOT be allowed to do this whether it is public property or not. I cannot fathom their thinking. I weep at the mere thought of military funerals. My heart breaks for the family members left behind because their fallen family member happened to be a soldier and gave their all. They are stronger than I in so many ways.

I am beyond proud that my kid (Stormy) knows that soldiers are real heroes as was evidenced in our Halloween costumes this year. And the soldier that gave her that REAL Army hat. She still wears it. She still asks when we see someone in uniform if they are a real soldier. And when she hears their response, she says Thank you.  I am beyond proud that all of my kids will know how important these people our to our way of life. If not for them what would our country be like? Or other countries that do depend on our forces?

So on this Memorial Day I will remember the soldiers give their all. The soldiers that are still fighting. I will pray for their safe return. And if they don’t make it back…I will remember they gave their all so I could have my all. I will be forever grateful for them. Past and present and future.

1 comment: